Pulling your boat out of storage means it’s time to get it ready for the spring and summer boating season. The expert mechanics at Jordanelle Rentals and Marina can service, clean, and prep your boat for a fun and eventful boating season. If you’d like to tackle this project on your own, follow the extensive pre-launch checklist below.
Test and Replace Electronics
Be sure to test all electronics on your boat and your trailer. If any of the electronics need to be replaced or repaired, our service and repair shop can take care of this for you in no time. You’ll also want to examine the following items on your boat and trailer:
- Charge and install the battery.
- Check navigational lights on the boat.
- Inspect all lights on your trailer.
Perform Body Maintenance
Whether your boat was stored in a dry indoor space or anchored in a dock on the water, you’ll need to conduct some much-needed bodywork on both your boat and trailer:
- Wash and wax the hull
- Re-paint boat and trailer as necessary
- Add fresh caulk wherever needed
- Repack wheel bearings
- Check for wear on the tires
Conduct Basic Mechanical Repairs
Basic mechanical repairs are essential to ensure a safe and optimal boating experience:
- Check water pumps and thermostats
- Replace oil and gas filters as needed
- Inspect all fluid levels
- Add fresh fuel
- Check fuel lines for cracks
Prepare for Emergencies
It’s always a good idea to be as safe and prepared as possible when cruising on the water. Give your friends and family the safety they deserve by following these guidelines:
- Add safe boating gear, including one life jacket per person
- Stock a fire extinguisher, flare, whistle, line, and mirror
- Keep an anchor on board
- Add a GPS, cell phone, clothing, food, and water for those unexpected emergencies
You own a boat, so why not be ready to use it on that first sunny day of spring? Let our highly-skilled mechanics prep and service your boat so you can enjoy cruising across the lake with family and friends. Contact us today at (435) 615-7397 to schedule your appointment. We also have boat rentals, jet ski rentals, kayak rentals, and paddle board rentals available on the Jordanelle Reservoir.
Source: Keer, Tom. “Get Your Boat Ready: A Seasonal Approach.” Web blog post. Life Lanes. Progressive. Web. 27 Apr. 2019